The question is always a variation of the same: When should I go get an eye exam? And the answer is simple: when you feel that your prescription has changed.
However, it can be a bit confusing to try to figure out the signs that your prescription has changed, especially if you’re feeling tired and can’t attribute if your eyes are actually having difficulties or if you just need some sleep!
We’ve compiled a list of some of the signs that your prescription has changed (whether you’re near-sighted or far-sighted) to help you figure out if you should be booking that eye exam as soon as possible!
- Blurred vision. When things start looking blurry around the edges, or just blurry, period, you need to book that appointment.
- You’re squinting– a lot. Squinting is a telltale sign that your prescription has changed. Squinting changes the way light enters the eye and improves your vision by a fraction, however, doing it consistently means your eyes are weakening and need correction.
- Your eyes feel tired. If your eyes are hurting and feel tired almost all the time, it’s because they’re straining to see! A correct prescription will remedy this and stop the eyestrain.
- Light sensitivity. If bright light either indoors or from the sun is making you squint, cover your eyes, or even shut them in pain, it’s definitely time for a new prescription. This means your eyes are working overtime, or may even be a sign of infection or disease. Seek a professional’s expertise as soon as possible if you experience chronic light sensitivity.
- Headaches. Experiencing reoccurring headaches is a sign of likely necessary prescription change.
If you have children, you should also watch out for these signs in them. They are less likely to identify the problems themselves and it can affect their performance in school!
Even if you don’t end up needing a prescription change, it may help to receive some advice from a professional on how to reduce any discomfort. We offer computer lenses, polarized lenses and many other options that may help. Click here to explore lens options that may increase the comfort level of your eyeglasses.
Hakim Optical wants to help you keep your eyes healthy and your vision clear. Many of our locations have Eye Exam Centres within them where you can schedule your eye exam and keep your prescriptions up to date. Call the Hakim Optical location nearest you today to book your appointment!